Tuesday 15 September 2015

Bowmore 12 Year old



Bowmore 12 Year old is interesting in how uninteresting it is. 12 year old and single malt are the only specifics it mentions... standard 40% alcohol but I guess it only cost $52.99, which is kind of the standard in Nova Scotia for a single malt. I bought it because I was picking up something new for the night and had to shop at a really crappy liquor store (Scotia Square in downtown Halifax) and didn't have much choice. I had never tasted Bowmore before so I thought I'd give it a go.

You like to try out some smoke in your scotch? Maybe you might like this. But probably not. I'm not a huge fan of the smokey scotches and haven't actively sought out the best ones, but even though this one has got lots of the smoke it doesn't have much else. If you only like smoke then maybe this is your brand.

The nose comes in full with smoke and char and a little oak that's hidden beneath the smoke. Charred oak? Yeah, I guess, but more smoke than anything else. A touch of salt and a basic undefinable sweet that's a barely discernible finish of the nose.

Unsurprisingly there's more smoke on the palate.

A quick finish with even more smoke and the taste of burnt wood at the end. It seems simple and quite honestly boring.

Not going to be getting any more of this. A disappointment for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I've had this too and am defintiely not a fan. Thankfully, I only ordered one drink at a bar on their Scotch night so it only cost me $6 I think.

    ReplyDelete