Friday 29 January 2016

Highland Park 10 Year old Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Lately I've been hearing more and more about Highland Park and this is entirely because I've been more interested in conversations about scotch, and by conversations I really just mean videos on the internet and some scattered articles here and there. No one I know personally talks about Highland Park or drinks Highland Park or even really knows anything about Highland Park. From what's been implied to me lately, however, it's a staple of Scottish Scotch drinking. Here in Canada, not so much. I think when I glanced over it at the liquor store a feeling about the name that was in the back of my mind influenced my opinion of this scotch: the combination of Highland and Park just didn't sit right with me. The name seems like the type of name that a crummy apartment complex would use in an failed attempt to seem classy: Highland Park Estates, or Highland Park Towers... both places sound like a good place to buy drugs but not a good place to live.

But maybe in Scotland Highland Park would be a nice place to live, to start a family or buy one of those big furry giant horned cows and live the Scotish dream... whatever the hell that is. Anyway, I decided to overcome my earlier prejudices and pick up a bottle of this well beloved Scotch.

Highland Park 10 Year Old Single Malt Whisky seemed like a reasonable introduction to me. As a side note it almost seems like Highland Park 10 Year Old isn't available many places, except Canada and perhaps Holland. Highland Park Distilleries don't even list it on their own website. But I could be wrong. This comes in a 750ml (North American market sized bottle) at 40% alc/vol and runs for $64.99 in Nova Scotia.

There's no mention of if they chilfilter or not and no mention of colour, so I'm assuming they chilfiler and add some colour.

The nose begins with a little peat and smoke mixed with a medicinal scent (the medicinal scent was stronger before we added water, it was more dominant in the overall smell but the adding of water lessened it's affects or perhaps just increase the other smells). There's sweetness and a very light fruitiness maybe with a hint of melon. Gentle and appealing, but not overly complex.

The palate begins with some spice (slight ginger feel) and some, what I shall say are earthy tastes (some mild peat and wood), mixed with a fading essence of smoke, and more medicinal flavours. This all vanishes quickly as the finish comes in with an increasing sweetness and finally a smooth butterscotch taste. A little bit of wood.

Overall a fine Scotch but nothing terribly exciting. However I probably won't be buying this again. But it was good enough to consider purchasing some of the older aged Highland Parks sometime in the future, but doing so won't be a priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment