Sunday 20 March 2016

Tobermory 10 year old Single Malt Scotch Whiskey

I'm sold on the idea of unchill-filtering (just not on how to spell it), and so when I'm shopping around for a new Scotch to try out, I'm immediately drawn to the ones that make this claim. The Tobermory 10 year old proudly displays this on the box along with its 46.3% alcohol by volume and I had a feeling, that since it looks like a craft brewed scotch, coming from the only distillery on the Island of Mull and has opted for a green bottle that there isn't any colour in it either. It does give this appearance, but there's no claim to this effect so its hard to be sure.

Tobermory starts off with a very pleasant sour peat smell.

I added too much water the first time and it really brought out the smell of apples, sweetness and chocolate. When you've got yourself a fine scotch, adding a little too much water once in a while is never really a bad thing. You get some more flavours and some more smells and you can savour them for a little longer. What else is in there? You can dig in and explore for a while. A little oak, a bit of barely, some fruit, a mixture of intriguing sweetness.

The palette is very sweet and smooth with light chocolaty taste.

The finish gives a good bang of very nice smooth buttery sweet caramel. There's a slight kick of ginger hotness that slides and morphs into the taste of almonds. Really quite delicious.

Being 10 years old this has a youthful taste that I think I'm really starting to enjoy. If you're like me, you've been told that older is better (either actually told told or implied told (and prices often reinforce the implied told idea) but I've had some really good 10 year old scotches that I think are really quite good because of the youthful elements in them. Ageing them changes them and adds quite a bit but it can also take away some stuff, and that kind of youthful rawness is really appealing (especially in peated scotches). It's starting to make me think that my ultimate blended mix (if I could make any blend I wanted, regardless of price) would probably have to be called 10 year old, because I'd want to include some ten year olds into the taste.

Will definitely pick up more Tobermory in the future (planning to always have some in stock, actually) and have already branched out and gotten hold of some Ledaig (their more peaty brand).

1 comment:

  1. Tasting this again we really discovered a pineapple scent in the nose.
    The one of us seems obsesses with pineapple, so they sense it in the palette as well.

    ReplyDelete